Author Topic: Different from real n64  (Read 496 times)

Offline nekokabu

• PJ64 Dever
Different from real n64
« on: August 27, 2011, 03:00:44 PM »

DK is walk the left side of the palm trees, jumping rope, cross to the neighboring island on real n64but DK is walk the right side of the palm trees, falls into water on emu.

DK64 (on real n64) OP
http://youtu.be/qGG61R8-BJw?t=3m30s

Beetle Adventure Racing too.
Cars not collide on the wall.

Offline RadeonUser

• PJ64 Dever
  • SuperFly Deving Guy
Re: Different from real n64
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 12:34:30 AM »
This, along with the sub screen menu delays, will quite possibly be the hardest things for me to fix but I'm willing to give it a shot.
I did some basic testing and saw that the demo works best on CF2.
Donkey Kong may rarely make the first jump to the vine but it still fails.

From what I can tell things appear to be scripted and set on some kind of timer.
From my understanding the N64 uses two timers, a hardware based one where an operation will complete in a certain amount of cycles, and the count register which is incremented or set.
PJ64 relies heavily on the count register and doesn't even attempt to emulate the hardware timing.
It's quite possible that's what is missing to allow DK64, Beetle Adventure Racing, and other games to have properly working demos.

This will probably take a long of trail and error as I doubt the documentation covers the timing of the operations.
It could even be something I don't have much control over, such as the rsp, but I doubt that because CF2 actually seems to help.

So, no progress yet but I felt it was necessary to voice that this is the issue I am currently working on and may or may not be able to improve on it.