Author Topic: The Open Beta Is Here!  (Read 7030 times)

Offline RadeonUser

• PJ64 Dever
  • SuperFly Deving Guy
The Open Beta Is Here!
« on: December 25, 2017, 10:59:35 PM »
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, or simply Hello for those who do not partake!

I bring you our first beta release.
We felt we had been taking too long and needed to generate some interest.

What we offer here is an improvement over PJ64 1.6 and I consider it to be our Legacy (hence the name).
We have had great support from our friends, notably Azimer for his work on his audio plugin that he has graciously allowed us to release, Icepir8 for his video plugin (I will better support it soon, I promise ice!), Witten for his always excellent work on cheats, Nekokabu who always brings insight into problems with games (I'm sorry I haven't had the time to fix everything you've pointed out!).
And always a thanks to those that have stuck around, Clements, TrotterWatch, Squall but can't fully commit anymore like they used to (Life moving on stinks!)

Of course to those that found out how to fix the problems no one else looked at, zoinkity I love your work.
Luigiblood, just wow with your work into 64DD -- I'll be visiting that library you've built for us at some point!

Zilmar and Jabo the original two who I'll always love dearly.
Despite the differences we have had I cannot how any rancor towards you.

Yes I'm forgetting a whole lot of people!
Thank you all though, everyone.

Now I do have a favor to ask for anyone that uses PJ64 Legacy.
What I ask is that you please report any issues you run into!
Anything you feel is wrong or could be improved is welcome.

I must also ask for your patience.
I am programming on my leisure time and I just spent the entire Christmas holiday weekend doing nothing but programming and taking naps (I say naps but these were simply instances where I was no longer awake).

P.S.
Oh, you probably want to know where the download is.
Unfortunately Gent is the one who set up this forum and website so we'll have to wait for him in the morning to do the posts!
So until then it's in the Downloads section under Open Beta Packages.
I'll upload here too and I'm sure Gent will get after me in his morning for doing something wrong.

Cheers though!
Have fun everyone!

Edit: Whoops! Gent forgot to slip in the RSP (Still using 1.6's for the time being) and I forgot to hit the compile button before I zipped it all up.
Thanks Azimer for pointing that out!

Edit2: Fixed some things Gent pointed. Surprise surprise they were cheat related.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 04:56:00 PM by Gent »

Offline Gent

• PJ64 Dever
  • SuperFly Deving Guy
    • Project64 Website
Re: The Open Beta Is Here!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 12:28:36 PM »
 :-[ Gented! Sorry about that, i had to turn the comp off fast and yup Thanks Azi for pointing that out!

Ok, the Open Beta Package is available in the Open Beta Packages  Section of  Downloads
Also to be found above on the Menu.

Please note: You have to be a Registered Member to access and download any files here as we ask only for your input in return to help with the development of Project64 Legacy.

Thank you to the whole Team for all the hard work and pulling together and recreating everything lost in the server fail of 2012.

So lets do this  :(|)

Offline Black Zero

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 06:42:28 AM »
Wow, nearly six years ago I was here in the forum last time. Six years, damn a lot have happened since then...

Congratulations to your success guys, wish you all the best with the project!

Offline RadeonUser

• PJ64 Dever
  • SuperFly Deving Guy
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 04:17:38 PM »
Thanks and sorry for the wait on that!
I realize this would have been a lot more relevant all those years ago but things happened that were out of my control.

I mainly came on here to answer some posts from reddit but I was pleasantly surprised to see a comment from someone!
So thanks for making my day on that  ;)

I will answer a bit more on what PJ64 1.6.1 Legacy is and was.
This was supposed to be a side-by-side release with Jabo's plugins, an improvement of support for games and fixes for the GUI that were never addressed.
He didn't agree where the project was going -- He's very protective of Zilmar's work and pretty much lost it when I started hacking away at things.
(Yes Jabo, this is clearly what I recall and I doubt very much it's what happened. If memory serves you just wanted to leave things in a finished state. However, like you well know, my perception of reality is 'better'  :D )

Most of the recent work I did would have been more relevant back when SSDs were not commonplace (Try loading the entire rom set on a classic mechanical drive and you'll see a difference from 1.6, I can't comment on 2.x as I don't use that version).

So what this is mainly aimed at being is 1.6 with a bit of polish, game fixes, and a more responsive user interface.
There's still quite a bit of work I will be doing to update the way PJ64 feels, it simply hasn't aged well.

For what is provided, that's a simple zip file.
There are no installers whatsoever.
The exe is compressed with Free UPX.
You should be able to download it WITHOUT registering (If you cannot, let me know but I've tried it out myself as a guest just now).

If you are more than happy using the latest PJ64 2.x stick with it, it's likely more updated and runs better.
If you find yourself using 1.6 for whatever reason then this is aimed at you, as a possible replacement.

The name was chosen because I felt PJ64's "Legacy" had been tarnished and as a long-time user and beta tester that was unacceptable to me.

So those of you who are interested.
Fantastic.
Please help me make this better by providing feedback.
Please let me know what you want that will make things better.

By the way, I've told Azimer, Icepir8, Gent, and Witten to drag me out back and shoot me if I ever start talking the crazy talk ( $-) $-) $-) )
And there went my morning  #-o

Offline Black Zero

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 07:55:29 AM »
Thanks for the explanation RadeonUser!  :-bd

Let me tell you a little about my N64 journey the last six years.

2012, I remember I was still using Project64 1.6 along with Nekokabu's Unofficial RDB at the time which worked quite well and I think I used Glide64 also.

I was reading about this and was starting to get curious about what would come next for Project64.
1.7 started awake my interest until I found out that it was Beta and not released to the public, only for paying supporters.

Damn, that's the first I thought and would this become standard for all emulators now?

Well I wanted 1.7 but didn't have the funds or the means to get it back then so I found a leaked version of 1.7, 1.7.0.50-rev23 which I have used ON/OFF up until 2016/2017

Then there was this RetroArch core made by Loganmc10 called GLupeN64 which was pretty good until he dropped it earlier last year.
It was Mupen64Plus 2.5 + GLideN64.

During 2015-2017 I also used various 2.x builds of Project64 + GLideN64 with mixed results, BSOD's, crashes and instabilities.

Autumn 2017 I discovered a GFX plugin called angrylion-rdp-plus which is a multi-threaded conservative fork of the original angrylion and it is a dream.

I use this with builds of Project64 from here today and must say that this might just be the way I'm going to play N64 games from now on.

Offline HellfireEternal

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 06:44:18 PM »
I can't remember how I stumbled upon this but I thought, "Great! More options for the mess that is Nintendo 64 emulation!" and when I noticed the date I submitted it on Reddit. I didn't expect such a negative reception! I was just trying to help spread the word. I don't think what you are doing is a bad idea at all. Project 64 1.6 was a great emulator for it's time and I have heard several people say they still use it and recommend it so it seems as logical a place to start as any. I wish you the best of luck!

Thank you @RadeonUser for your response in trying to clear up the goal of your project. What are the suggested plug-ins for this emulator or do you prefer users to try different plug-ins to test the emulator?

P.S. I am getting an error "You are not allowed to view this category" when I try to download TR64_ogl and the "Cheat Bug Fixes" files. Is this expected behavior?

Offline Gent

• PJ64 Dever
  • SuperFly Deving Guy
    • Project64 Website
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 07:50:58 PM »
P.S. I am getting an error "You are not allowed to view this category" when I try to download TR64_ogl and the "Cheat Bug Fixes" files. Is this expected behavior?

hmmmm, You should not get that when logged in.
Investigating

Edit|:

Try now, any registered member should be able to get any updated in Downloads.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 08:04:14 PM by Gent »

Offline HellfireEternal

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 08:46:56 PM »
Yes, I can download the files now. I also like the new layout of the downloads page. Good job!