Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Project 64 1.6.1 Dev / Re: Dropping Registry Access
« Last post by RadeonUser on February 02, 2018, 03:43:51 PM »
Well okay then, attempt three of posting this!
I keep on falling asleep and forgetting about this  :D
These will all have an = with the value appended.

[Core Defaults]
Advanced Block Linking
CPU Type
Default RDRAM Size
Self Modifying Code Method

[Directories]
Game Save
State Save
Plugin
Rom
Rom.Recurse
Snapshot
Config

[History]
Remember Cheats
RomDirs Remembered
Roms Remembered
Recent Rom# (This is from 1 to Roms Remembered)

[Behavior] (Gent, you're British but I'm the one programming so yes. Deal with the lack of a u  >:D )
Use RDS
Compress State Saves
Advanced Settings
Language
Auto Run on Open
Auto Full Screen on Run
Pause Emulation If Not Active
Use Rom Browser

[Rom Browser]

Well I've run out of time again  :-<
Hopefully I'll actually get something done this weekend.
I did need to sit down and do this however, since I needed to organize these.

Rom Browser contains all the field information and there's another that's meant to be for the cheat window, pj64's position itself, and... I think some more rom browser stuff.
It isn't much honestly and yes I should have been done by now  :-?

Project 64 1.6.1 Dev / Dropping Registry Access
« Last post by RadeonUser on January 30, 2018, 04:02:02 PM »
I'm starting a new thread for this because I need one place to keep my thoughts.

apps file will store all registry read/writes done by the main application (Unless something doesn't make sense/is pointed out)

For game settings (such as remembered cheats) these will be in the file similar to the RDS (RDB of old) with the [CRC1-CRC2:CountryCode] setup.
This is where I've started and I've been giving it thought that this might not be the best place to store this... (Within the apps file).
I'm feeling like this could be kept within a "User Settings" file which we have yet to implement.
That's basically stuff that should be kept within the RDS because it makes sense.

Gent -- When you get back I'm going to need some feedback on the changes I've made.
I've started on the cheats first  >:D since you're on vacation and all.
Project 64 1.6.1 Dev / Re: Config Directory - Do We Want One?
« Last post by RadeonUser on January 29, 2018, 03:41:03 PM »
Just a small update.
I'm still working on moving the settings saved to registry to a file (apps, application settings).

That said I've not made much progress because work has turned into quite an ordeal.
These past 2 weeks were 60+ hour work weeks, this past one did not include Saturday.
So that day was spent asleep trying to make up for the lack of sleep during the week.
Sunday was spent in a haze just looking at the TV.

So not very productive for programming!
Hopefully things will die down and I'll be able to put in some more hours into this.

Worst case I'll dedicate 20-30 minutes each morning.
Project 64 1.6.1 Dev / Re: Config Directory - Do We Want One?
« Last post by RadeonUser on January 17, 2018, 07:36:23 PM »
I had been taking a bit of a break lately to get back into the right frame of mind.

Next on my list is to remove all the registry related loads and stores.
I never saw a reason for that and the way I want pj64 to be is portable, move it around and still keep the same settings etc...

I will see if I can intercept the calls from loaded plugins and reroute those as well.
That one is more long term....

Thanks to the work I did for settings (why I'm posting it here!) this should not take too long.

I wonder how to include the new builds though, Gent was of the opinion to just attach and have only board members download the updates (to encourage feedback) but... I'll have to think on it.
I may just toss them on a thread somewhere.

Of course a better idea is to have them organized in some fashion...
Project64 Legacy Open Beta / Re: The Open Beta Is Here!
« Last post by HellfireEternal on January 13, 2018, 08:46:56 PM »
Yes, I can download the files now. I also like the new layout of the downloads page. Good job!
« Last post by Gent on January 12, 2018, 07:50:58 PM »
P.S. I am getting an error "You are not allowed to view this category" when I try to download TR64_ogl and the "Cheat Bug Fixes" files. Is this expected behavior?

hmmmm, You should not get that when logged in.
Investigating

Edit|:

Try now, any registered member should be able to get any updated in Downloads.
« Last post by HellfireEternal on January 12, 2018, 06:44:18 PM »
I can't remember how I stumbled upon this but I thought, "Great! More options for the mess that is Nintendo 64 emulation!" and when I noticed the date I submitted it on Reddit. I didn't expect such a negative reception! I was just trying to help spread the word. I don't think what you are doing is a bad idea at all. Project 64 1.6 was a great emulator for it's time and I have heard several people say they still use it and recommend it so it seems as logical a place to start as any. I wish you the best of luck!

Thank you @RadeonUser for your response in trying to clear up the goal of your project. What are the suggested plug-ins for this emulator or do you prefer users to try different plug-ins to test the emulator?

P.S. I am getting an error "You are not allowed to view this category" when I try to download TR64_ogl and the "Cheat Bug Fixes" files. Is this expected behavior?
« Last post by Black Zero on January 11, 2018, 07:55:29 AM »
Thanks for the explanation RadeonUser!  :-bd

Let me tell you a little about my N64 journey the last six years.

2012, I remember I was still using Project64 1.6 along with Nekokabu's Unofficial RDB at the time which worked quite well and I think I used Glide64 also.

I was reading about this and was starting to get curious about what would come next for Project64.
1.7 started awake my interest until I found out that it was Beta and not released to the public, only for paying supporters.

Damn, that's the first I thought and would this become standard for all emulators now?

Well I wanted 1.7 but didn't have the funds or the means to get it back then so I found a leaked version of 1.7, 1.7.0.50-rev23 which I have used ON/OFF up until 2016/2017

Then there was this RetroArch core made by Loganmc10 called GLupeN64 which was pretty good until he dropped it earlier last year.
It was Mupen64Plus 2.5 + GLideN64.

During 2015-2017 I also used various 2.x builds of Project64 + GLideN64 with mixed results, BSOD's, crashes and instabilities.

Autumn 2017 I discovered a GFX plugin called angrylion-rdp-plus which is a multi-threaded conservative fork of the original angrylion and it is a dream.

I use this with builds of Project64 from here today and must say that this might just be the way I'm going to play N64 games from now on.
« Last post by RadeonUser on January 10, 2018, 04:17:38 PM »
Thanks and sorry for the wait on that!
I realize this would have been a lot more relevant all those years ago but things happened that were out of my control.

I mainly came on here to answer some posts from reddit but I was pleasantly surprised to see a comment from someone!
So thanks for making my day on that  ;)

I will answer a bit more on what PJ64 1.6.1 Legacy is and was.
This was supposed to be a side-by-side release with Jabo's plugins, an improvement of support for games and fixes for the GUI that were never addressed.
He didn't agree where the project was going -- He's very protective of Zilmar's work and pretty much lost it when I started hacking away at things.
(Yes Jabo, this is clearly what I recall and I doubt very much it's what happened. If memory serves you just wanted to leave things in a finished state. However, like you well know, my perception of reality is 'better'  :D )

Most of the recent work I did would have been more relevant back when SSDs were not commonplace (Try loading the entire rom set on a classic mechanical drive and you'll see a difference from 1.6, I can't comment on 2.x as I don't use that version).

So what this is mainly aimed at being is 1.6 with a bit of polish, game fixes, and a more responsive user interface.
There's still quite a bit of work I will be doing to update the way PJ64 feels, it simply hasn't aged well.

For what is provided, that's a simple zip file.
There are no installers whatsoever.
The exe is compressed with Free UPX.
You should be able to download it WITHOUT registering (If you cannot, let me know but I've tried it out myself as a guest just now).

If you are more than happy using the latest PJ64 2.x stick with it, it's likely more updated and runs better.
If you find yourself using 1.6 for whatever reason then this is aimed at you, as a possible replacement.

The name was chosen because I felt PJ64's "Legacy" had been tarnished and as a long-time user and beta tester that was unacceptable to me.

So those of you who are interested.
Fantastic.
Please help me make this better by providing feedback.
Please let me know what you want that will make things better.

By the way, I've told Azimer, Icepir8, Gent, and Witten to drag me out back and shoot me if I ever start talking the crazy talk ( $-) $-) $-) )
And there went my morning  #-o
« Last post by Black Zero on January 10, 2018, 06:42:28 AM »
Wow, nearly six years ago I was here in the forum last time. Six years, damn a lot have happened since then...

Congratulations to your success guys, wish you all the best with the project!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10